Wednesday 20 March 2013

Reflections on Week 2 task

Image 1.
 There were some issues I faced with my second sketchup draft. Firstly, I did not have a clear distinction between spaces above and on the datum. Secondly, I was not happy with my below datum structure. Image 1. is a proposal I have made to highlight the level change between Stradivari's workshop and the 'on-datum' gallery space. Tackling the notion of beauty, I thought the image of a great, gnarled oak-like tree that twists and wraps itself around each room, holding them up for support visualizes this idea. I envision great buttress roots, sinking away from the gallery space walls, questioning the distinct datum line, yet steadfastly supporting it too.

Image 2.
 Image 2. shows my concept for a structure below the datum, as well as a progression on my stair pairings. I have represented this sense of interconnectedness through tessellating honeycomb shapes, with one exterior walkway that wraps around the structure and leads from the top to the bottom. My inspiration comes from the strength and design of beehives, and the interwoven connection shaped by underground ant mounds.

Image 3.
 Image 3., and 4. are preliminary design renderings on sketchup for visualisation's sake. At the moment, the 'gnarled' wood looks a bit like a giant turd, or an ill-conceived swan, but the process is only to be refined.

Image 4.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting your updates on the blog before emailing me. Good work.

    Revisit your two original works. Look at the Stradivari curves how its quite continuous and smooth. Lets accept your positioning of three above ground spaces for now, however this "ball and stick" method of joining your three spaces up dont really do your design much justice.

    Think about how things join, and how these joining would manifest itself to express "beauty" and "interconnectedness". Beauty is quite a holistic term while interconnectedness is very much something fragmented and putting these two opposites sets up a nice comparison.

    Here are some examples to prompt your thinking of the above ground spaces:

    http://www.arch2o.com/changsha-meixihu-international-culture-art-centre-zaha-hadid/
    http://www.architizer.com/en_us/blog/dyn/60108/zahas-futuristic-galaxy-soho-opens-in-beijing/#.UUplT1tgZiY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alternatively: http://www.archdaily.com/6810/california-academy-of-sciences-renzo-piano/

    ReplyDelete