Tuesday 12 March 2013

Reflections on Week 1 Task: Prelim Sketch Up

Image 1.

Image 2.

Image 3.
                                         
Image 4.

Image 5.
Image 6.
 After I submitted the preliminary sketch-up model, I could spot a few issues I already had with the design. First of all, the symmetry presented through the 3 spheres seemed tacky and quite comical, which is not what i hoped to achieve by representing the word 'beauty'. During the week 2 lecture - 12/3/13, we discussed stairs, and this prompted me to investigate a way to break the design symmetry by incorporating a sunken viewing/seating area into the 'gallery dome'. This idea of a space where people can walk up and down, and also take the time to sit and relax was inspired by the TKTS ticket booth stairs in Times Square New York. To present it as a 360 degree rotating viewing area, sunk below the datum, opens up the gallery space, and changes the dynamic of the three domes from a uniform plainness to a multidimensional space.

In the images above, I alluded to this notion of sustainability which I tried to incorporate into my design, but later realised that this is not apart of the project requirements.

Still disappointed with the outside appearance, Jacky gave me some great inspiration, suggesting I look at images of the Beijing Opera house (Image 4). To me, this was Beauty. In Image 5, I tried to merge this with my own design, presenting a singular big glass dome over the three original spheres. My idea is for light to be allowed through the outside dome, and be received through the glass roof of the green house and filter through to Stradivari's workspace, defining the three interior domes, but for the structure to look like a singular breath-taking entity from the outside. I envision a singular transparent glass top walkway allowing visitors to pass through the outside dome and into the gallery space, so that they can look around whilst walking, and actually see the forms of the other two domes (the green house, and another unknown, unattainable dome). They will not be able to reach these; they are a separate space, leaving the visitors wondering what and how.

My 3D sketch up model below the datum was unsatisfactory, and I wasn't happy with how i depicted the sense of interconnectedness, so image 6. shows an exploration which i may consider in future models.



No comments:

Post a Comment